The life cycle of Mold relies on propagation via airborne spores. When Mold intrudes into the indoor environment, these airborne spores can have a seriously detrimental effect on a building's air quality. Airborne mold can have a number of detrimental health effects for many types of people. Infants, children, and people who have pre-existing respiratory problems are particularly at risk. Some individuals are especially sensitive to mold and can start experiencing adverse reactions even after extremely brief exposures.
Humidity and high moisture levels are the most favorable conditions for the growth of mold. Potentially-harmful mold isn't always visible; molds growing inside the structure of a building can pose just as much of a threat as those on finished surfaces in plain sight. These unseen mold deposits often make themselves known via a distinctive, musty odor. A host of different building materials can provide a breeding ground for harmful mold, including drywall, wood, carpet, wallpaper, ceiling tiles, and certain types of insulation.
The potential adverse health effects of mold are many. High mold levels may cause some or all of these problems:
* cold- or flu-like symptoms including coughing, congestion, and runny nose
* irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat
* allergy flare-ups
* breathing problems
* asthma attacks
Protecting your home from mold is not necessarily difficult. These steps will all help:
* Check for mold growth in air conditioners, air filters, humidifiers, and dehumidifiers.
* Dust regularly and maintain high standards of cleanliness.
* Air out your home to prevent moisture build-up.
* Make sure your roof drainage (e.g. gutters and downspouts) is functioning properly. Leaks can introduce rainwater to your home.
* Use exhaust fans while performing high-moisture activities like cooking, bathing, and doing laundry.
* Repair water damage to your roof and walls as quickly as possible.
* Use detergent to promptly spot-clean any mold you encounter.
* Check your indoor humidity levels with a hygrometer. Relative humidity should be under fifty percent in the summer and under thirty percent in the winter. Get a dehumidifier if your home does not achieve these levels.
For persistent mold problems like recurrent outbreaks and persistent musty odors, working with professionals is frequently the best way to resolve the issue. Consult a reputable mold removal and ductless air company to get to the root of your issues and resolve the problem. Working with a good air conditioning company may also help you monitor and lower your home's humidity levels.