Molds grow when a building becomes very humid. In these situations mold can usually be seen on several surfaces in a building. However, it may sometimes be hidden behind items in a home such as carpets or wallpaper. It may also be behind building materials such as ceiling tiles, drywall and wood. Musty smells are usually a good indicator that mold is present in a building.
Mold can cause health issues such as:
- Irritation of the eyes, throat and nose
- Congestion which leads to coughing
- Runny nose
- Persistent headaches
- Breathing problems
- Allergies and asthma
If you wish to remove mold from your home then you should use the following steps.
- Do a thorough check of all areas in which mold may have a chance to grow, such as in air conditioners, dehumidifiers, humidifiers and air filters.
- Prevent your home from getting too damp by directing water away from the foundation walls of the house.
- Dust your home often.
- Make sure that you keep your home well ventilated. A well ventilated home is less likely to have a lot of moisture on the walls and windows.
- Use exhaust fans. These are especially useful when you are taking a shower, bathing or cooking.
- Invest in a hydrometer, since this will you tell you the amount of humidity in your home. If the humidity in your home is above 50% in the summer and above 30% in the winter, then you should consider purchasing a DE-humidifier.
- Humidity levels can become high when you have too many plants, pets or fish tanks inside your home, so limit these as much as possible.
- If your roof or walls begin to leak, try to fix them quickly.
- Clean all moldy surfaces with detergent as soon as you see them.
If you see more mold growth than you think you can handle or if you smell strong musty odors, it is always best to call a company that specializes in mold removal. Ductless air conditioning companies will also be able to help you if you think you have poor air quality in your home and want to decrease humidity.